The perfect hair care routine doesn’t exi…yes, yes, it does. Healthy looking, beautiful hair does not happen by accident. It takes a lot of TLC and the right combination of products. You can have a counter full of great products, but if they are not right for your hair type, they won’t do much for you. So how do you know what will actually work? Here are a few tips that will help you start a new hair care routine or enhance your current one.
1. Know Your Hair Type.
Whenever anyone thinks of hair type, most people jump to the average answer like, straight, wavy, curly, or kinky. But… texture is not the only thing that determines hair type. You also need to consider your hair’s strength and porosity, the ability to absorb and hold onto moisture. No two heads of hair are the same, so it’s important to choose a routine designed for your specific hair type and goals.
2. Identify Your Desired Look
Decide what is your preferred hairstyle and identify any existing concerns you want to tackle. Know that It’s totally normal for a person to have more than one concern. If it helps, write them down and share them with your stylist who can recommend the ideal combination of products tailored to your hair care needs. Consider things like, is your hair chemically treated? Is your scalp dry, oily, or normal? Are you dealing with color fading? Etc… This will help you determine which shampoo, conditioner, and hair masks you may need. Then identify what’s your preferred method of styling which will help you determine which styling products you will need.
3. The basics of creating a hair care routine
Although there are different types of hair, there are still a few basic steps that are applicable for everyone such as cleansing, conditioning, detangling, styling, and proper treatment. It’s the HOW you do each one of these steps and the products you use that change, based on your hair type.
- Cleanse to reset and remove excess hair oils, products, dirt, and dead skin from our scalp.
- Use conditioner to keep your hair hydrated, smooth, and lock in moisture.
- Detangle GENTLY to avoid breakage, you need to brush your hair using a good quality detangling brush to ease out the tangles.
- Use a hair mask weekly to target your specific hair concerns.
- Always use products to style your hair. Never let your hair go naked! Products not only help you style your hair, but they also protect your hair from the elements.
Always keep in mind that the quality of your hair may change over time, so you have to update your routine from time to time. Observe your hair to know what are the processes and products that you may need to change and the things that you need to keep doing, always consult with your stylist before making those changes.
If you have additional questions, feel free to come to our salon! We are happy to go over your hair care needs and we have a variety of products that we love and trust that we can recommend to make your healthy hair dreams a reality.